Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sasquatch 1.5 Days in

Does anyone really care about this event? I mean, obvs the thousands of peeps here and wanting to be here care, but do they care to read the recap? Not least of which my recap? My guess is likely no- but like it or not, indifference or difference

here

we

go


SATURDAY
Vince Mira was. . . awesome, so fun, kitch, cool

The Gaslight Anthem was. . . terrible, not the tight band that I saw at the High Dive last month, poor sound

Passion Pit was. . . ok from what I saw. I was distracted by sitting in the shade for most of their set and so I didnt see all of it but it sounded fun and dancey and in response the crowd was fun and dancey

King Khan and The Shrines were. . . it is pretty early in Sasquatch to call this but probably the best of the weekend (fully admiting I have yet to see my most anticipated band of the festival Murder City Devils who may blow this whole sentence out of the water)

Shearwater was. . .boring in passing but they really didn;t get a fair shake of me causually walking by

Animal Collective was. . . good. I really dug their scene for about 25 minutes before I lost interest. They sounded sort of like a water color painting

The Decemberists were. . . so wonderful, although have we come to expect anything different from them at this point? I was lured away about half way through their set by the promise of illicit beers, which honestly make them sound all the better

SUNDAY
Viva Voce was. . . beautiful but so dull. I love them and I have seen them bring it in other settings (even other festival settings)

Street Sweeper Social Club was. . . honestly, I had little to no interested in seeing this band, being a lukewarm at best fan of Rage Against the Machine. I was plesantly blown away by how fun and big Tom Morello's side project was. My favorite part, the lead singer (?) declaring "Street Sweeper Social Club is not a band! It's a social club!!" and their cover of MIA introduced "we have a new album coming out, and this song is NOT on it"

The Walkmen were. . . boring, and seemed disinterested in even being here despite their audience best efforts to like them.

The Red Wine Boys. . . were some bullshit in the comedy tent while I was waiting in like for the port-o-pottys and were not funny. However I will say that was probably the most plesant honeybucket experience i have ever had- way to step it up gorge!

Fences was. . .plagued by sound troubles and super fussy about it. That being said they were super pretty sounding, but it is difficult to remain engaged fully in the heat of the day through a set who's most memorable characteristic is a low pitched buzzng noise.

SO that brings us to 4:08 PM on Sunday.
Upcoming is . . . St. Vincent, The Wrens, The Murder City Devils, The Wrens and maybe a little Of Montreal although I would not mind being left the Gorge by then. . .tomorrow. . . The PICA BEATS! The cutest name band in all of rock and also hopefully Blitzen Trapper, GoGol Bordello, Girl Talk and some other little suprises too!

Some other things: Having a blanket has made all the difference! I know I am kind of a baby but bringing a little blanket has made this festival experience great.
Also. . . Wow, what a great, smootly run festival. It it is great the level of care/detail everyone invovled has put into Sasquatch, and how great it has been to work with the staff so far. And I'm sure there will be all kinds of kvetching about the cost of beer/booze/food and honestly it is out of control ($15 margaritia anyone?) BUT I have always been bothered by fellow patrons needs to get wasted. I love to booze but at the same time, that is something I could do anytime.

I had a Southwestern Salad from Wendys last night, and it had beef chili on it but I was so hungry I didn't even care! I had half a shot of Disarono and passed out. Awesome!

From the window I can hear the first few notes of The Builders and the Butchers, and they sound pretty ok.

No comments: