Sunday, November 9, 2008

"there is this existential loneliness in the real world. I don't know what you're thinking or what it's like inside you and you don't know what it's like inside me. In fiction I think we can leap over that wall itself in a certain way. . .There's a kind of Ah-ha! Somebody at least for a moment feels about something or sees something the way that I do. It doesn't happen all the time. It's these brief flashes or flames, but I get that sometimes. I feel unalone -- intellectually, emotionally, spiritually. I feel human and unalone and that I'm in a deep, significant conversation with another consciousness in fiction and poetry in a way that I don't with other art." --D.F.W



With increacing frequence I google interviews with David Foster Wallace when I can't sleep (please see footnote one). I find safety in the way his words move (outside of their purpose for furthering the plot) elegantly falling in line. I found this article on Salon where he talks about Infinite Jest and answers a lot of the questions I have had about the book. It is nice because so much that is published about DFW is lurid details aboout his death, his affairs with horrible Elizabeth Wurtzel etc etc and even exploring how unhappy he was in his life, how lonely and miserable and painful he had become.

I love reading him talk passionately. Honestly I love reading anyone articulate passionately. As a society we have become ashamed I think of open adulation, of taking pure and sincere delight in things.

If you are interested in an effortless work of genious read this: Little Expressionless Animals









Footnote one: This is a new development since his death, for some reason I find it tremendously comforting

No comments: