Monday, April 13, 2009

Hit me baby. . . no really hit me. . . I want you to hit me as hard as you can


As you may or may not know Britney Spears was recently in Seattle and my office of "music aficionados" was divided pretty evenly between people who were against the show on principle that it was Brittney Spears OR people who went to the show and justify it as a so-called guilty pleasure. I side with Chuck Klosterman in the opinion that there are no such things as guilty pleasure.

As far as it is "punk rock" to make fun of people who enjoy Britney Spears music, if you feel your tastes are elevated to the point of doing this, you must surely then be able to recoginize her importance as a cultural icon and how her complete lack of talent is exactly what elevates her worship to the perfect example of what is post modern

Last Sunday, the glittered hoards decended upon the Tacoma Dome, the great tit of the Northwest to see a woman that while claiming to be a musician has never claimed to have any ability to perform music perform a concert where no effort is made to even conceal the fact that no musical instruments are being played or songs being performed in anyway. It is like a scene out of Brave New World (like the super groovy Made for TV version, with Lenoard Nimoy) or maybe some better example of a dystopic future that I can't think of right now. But you know what I mean. Anyway I find if fascinating and depressing all at the same time, not least of which because I was not one of the lucky ones to get tickets.

No comments: